Most of us rely on gas every single day but we suspect that most of us rarely give it a thought. This isn’t surprising, considering you can’t see it. But the fact that you can’t see, taste or smell Carbon Monoxide gas is precisely what gives it the potential to be so dangerous. According to statistics, around 7 people per year die from CO poising as a result of gas appliances that have either been installed incorrectly, poorly maintained or poorly ventilated. For this reason, as a plumber in Chiswick, I feel that it’s important we educate people on how to stay as Gas Safe as possible. Below is a list of 5 things you need to know.
- All of your gas appliances, including your gas boiler, gas cooker and gas fire should be safety checked once a year and serviced regularly according to the manufacturer’s instructions. By failing to have your gas appliances regularly serviced and safety checked by a Gas Safe registered engineer you could be putting you and your family at risk. A gas safety check should cover the following four areas:
-That gas appliances are on the right setting and burning correctly with the correct operating pressure
-That harmful gases are being removed from the appliance safely to the air outside
-That any ventilation routes are clear and working properly
-That all the safety devices are functioning
- Make sure you always ask to see an engineers Gas Safe ID card and check the back to ensure they are qualified to carry out the specific type of gas work you need. Badly fitted and poorly serviced gas appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning.
- You should also be able to recognise the warning signs that your gas appliances aren’t working properly. For instance, lazy yellow flames instead of crisp blue ones, black marks or stains on or around the appliance and too much condensation in the room can all be signs of a fault. However, be careful and remember that sometimes there can be no indicators at all. If you’re unsure, consult us here at Heywood Heating.
- Familiarise yourself with the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. These include headaches, dizziness, nausea, breathlessness, collapse and loss of consciousness. You should also ensure you have a working and audible carbon monoxide alarm in your home, located near to the gas appliances.
- If you suspect a gas leak, immediately shut off the gas supply at the meter control valve (ensure that you know where it is in your home before a crisis arises). Call an Emergency Gas expert and be sure to open all of the doors and windows
If you are interested in taking advantage of a skilled, personable Chiswick engineer for work on your domestic appliances, get in touch with a member of the Heywood Heating team today to discuss your needs, and we’ll get an expert to you as soon as possible.